Hilary Mofsowitz has served as a Mediator and Arbitrator in South Africa for twenty-five years, with a focus on labor and employment disputes. She served on numerous panels within the private and public sectors and also in the federal sector. Hilary is an accredited trainer and mentor for new Mediators and Arbitrators and has assisted the country in establishing a diverse team of ADR neutrals.
Prior to this, she had eighteen years’ experience in Human Resources culminating in a HR Director position, with a special interest in negotiating Collective Bargaining Agreements and implementing HR policies and procedures.
In 2019, Hilary relocated to the United States and has established a Mediation and Arbitration practice. She is a member of the National Academy of Arbitrators and has been selected to serve on a number of panels in the USA.
In South Africa she had experience in the following panels including; Railroad, Postal, Hospitality, Private Security, Education, Retail, Airlines, Clothing and Textiles, all sectors with the State as the Employer, Public Health, Hospitals, Metal and Engineering, Civil Engineering, Road Freight, Railroad Passenger, Bus Companies, Police Force, Port and Pipeline.
Hilary is well-known as a skilled Mediator and has an 80-85% settlement rate at successfully mediating disputes. She specializes in Mediation, Arbitration, Fact-finding, Hearing Officer, Conflict Resolution and Workplace Investigations.
Areas of Focus
- Employment and Labor disputes
- Workplace disputes
- Sexual harassment
- CBA- interpretation and all disputes arising from a CBA
- Discharge and promotion disputes
- Dealing with the minor as a witness
- Individual Employment Contracts
- Essential Services
- American Arbitration Association- Arbitrator panel since July 2022
- National Academy of Arbitrators – Member since March 2022
- National Mediation Board- arbitrator panel since March 2023
- FINRA- arbitrator panel since June 2023
- LERA- NY and National LERA
- ACR-GNY Arbitrate.com
- South African Society for Labor Law
- International Ombuds Association – USA
- Degree in Social Work – University of Cape Town, South Africa – 1976
- Diploma – Industrial Relations Development Program – University of Stellenbosch, South Africa – 1985
- Course: Becoming a Labor Arbitrator (BALA) – FMCS – Certificate of Competence, 2021- USA
- Ongoing training in the following South African legislations, including all amendments between 1997 to 2021
- Labor Relations Act 66 of 1995 as amended
- Basic Conditions of Employment Act 75 of 1997 as amended
- Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 as amended
- The National Minimum Wage Act 9 of 2018 as amended
- Training in mediation and arbitration and facilitation and fact-finding
- Certificate of Competence – Train the Trainer – 2012.
- Accreditation as a Mentor – 2016 – formal mentorship of Mediators/Arbitrators
- (All training conducted by the Commission of Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA)