Since her 1984 admission to the Maine bar, Ms. Joy Crafts McNaughton has developed many litigation skills. As a senior trial attorney for a major insurance carrier from 1998-2004 and 2006-2016, Joy handled a wide variety of insurance defense matters, hundreds of contested, testimonial workers compensation hearings and many general liability defense cases.
At Berman and Simmons, P.A. (1991-1998) and Preti, Flaherty (1985-1991) Joy focused on medical malpractice defense, and plaintiff’s personal injury, general liability, and even First Amendment litigation. She is a member of the Maine State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
In 2015, Joy Crafts McNaughton was admitted to the Maine District Court CADRES mediation roster, and has been mediating small claims in district court and private party personal injury matters. In January 2021, Joy began mediating virtually, both District Court Family disputes and personal injury matters.
- William & Mary Law School, Doctor of Law (J.D.), 1984
- Colby College, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), American Studies, 1980
Licenses & Certifications
- Maine Family Law, 3 half day trainings, June 2022, Family and Community Mediation
- Advanced Family and Divorce Mediation Training: Skills and Strategies for Property Issues, Mosten Guthrie Academy, Issued Nov 2021
- Elder/Adult Family Mediation Training: Working with Families in Conflict, Elder Decisions, Issued Jul 2020
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, Issued Apr 2020 How to Mediate by Zoom, 2 day training,
- Agricultural Mediation Training (2 days), Volunteers of America
- Maine Family Law Training for Mediators (2 days), Volunteers of America Northern New England, Issued May 2015
- Advanced Mediation Training in Consumer Law (3 hours), Volunteers of America Northern New England, Issued Oct 2014
- Certification of Accomplishment in Transformative Mediation (8 hours), Opportunity Alliance, Issued Jun 2014 University of Southern Maine, 40 hour certificate in Mediation, University of Southern Maine, Issued Sep 2013
- Personal Injury
- Workers Compensation